We have been looking at reasons why many marriages are failing and our focus has been on those intending to contract a marriage relationship. We will yet look at two more reasons before we proceed to those who are already married.
Recap of yesterday’s lesson :
– Don’t expect perfection, give room for imperfections.
– Agree before marriage
– Adjust in marriage
– Accommodate each other.
Today, we are looking at two reasons.
1. Marrying someone because of his or her wealth, in the absence of true love and affection is a sure recipe for divorce. If the only reason you want to marry that man is because he is rich and loaded and knows how to spend on women, then you are in for a hell of a shock. He will spend on other women as well.
Moreso, riches are not guaranteed to last forever, so what happens if he suddenly loses his wealth? Proverbs 23:5, ‘Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings: they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.’ Don’t waste his time if you don’t love him and can’t live with his weaknesses. I am not counselling you to look for paupers as spouses. Just let his wealth be just a supporting factor and not the main reason.
Also, if you marry someone with riches and no vision, you will both end up being poor. Visions feed riches and wealth. Show me a man of vision and I will show you a man of substance. Vision naturally attracts provision. So ask your man for his vision. Where is he going? If he doesn’t know where he is going, he has no right to take you along! Also, be sure you can follow him to achieve his vision.
2. In the same vein, marrying someone because of her beauty or shape is erroneous, if the underlying assumption of mutual love, affection and acceptance, is not satisfied. Beauty fades away. Age and child bearing will change that shape you so much admire today. So ask yourself, will I still love her if she grows fatter after bearing children for me? Will I be contented with her? Do you want to marry a model or a mother? A model is obsessed with keeping her shape and will do everything to keep that shape, even if it means denying you some rights. A mother sacrifices her body to nurture you and your children. Go for a woman with a motherly heart. Go for a woman with a beautiful heart. Proverbs 31:30.
Summary of today’s lessons:
1. Don’t marry for riches.
– Riches don’t last forever
– Marry a man with a vision
2. Don’t marry for beauty, beauty is vain.
God bless us all.