Once in a while, the unexpected happens, jolting us back to reality and to remember that God does not think as men think. When men are singing praises of a particular person, God may be busy polishing the rejected with the aim of creating an upset.
Quite a number of people gave Trump a zero chance of winning the US Presidential Election, but he has defied and trumped all odds. He is set to become the 45th President of the United States. With all the effort and support garnered by the preferred Democratic candidate, Hilary Clinton, she could not get the desired 270 electoral college votes. Predictions have been turned upside down, as predictions of narrow to wide margin victory in favour of Hilary has been completely reversed. Wow! What an upset!
After all said and done, I believe there are lessons for us all to learn from this election. A few of them are:
1. Don’t equate the voice of the people with the voice of God. You might not have God’s backing even when you seem to have the backing of the people.
2. Men pleasers are rarely the best leaders. You must know and do what is ultimately good for the majority, even when the majority do not understand you. Hilary and the democrats were all for political correctness, while Trump brashly spoke against some ugly norms.
3. Don’t understand the havoc that the unlearned majority can cause. They are not ruled by emotion or sentiments, they will never do anything to change the gender order. Many of the American voters still can’t swallow a female American President.
4. Don’t count your victory too early. Don’t announce your success prematurely, it might be truncated. Hilary was in the lead at the beginning of the election and all looked set to ensure the fulfilment of the dream of first American female President, but the story changed later in the day.
5. Rejects are no less instruments in the hands of God. In fact, God often uses the foolish things of the world to confound the wise, so Trump may just be the best thing to happen to America and the world today. Oratory power or not, Trump has won.
6. Nothing happens among men without the knowledge of God. Even when it appears like an error to us, God has a plan. Only time will prove Him right and prove sceptics wrong.
Long live America.
God bless us all.